RE: Wood, masonry & moisture

Title: Message

I typically like to specify that building paper be installed between the ledger and the masonry.  Not in code but I feel it's a good detail.  Never had a contractor object.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Dave Adams [mailto:davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com]
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 8:08 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Wood, masonry & moisture

Hello all,

Has anyone observed any moisture-related problems with a wood ledger attached to the face of a concrete masonry wall?  The Code specifies pressure-treatment or natural resistance to decay for wood bearing on masonry in contact with earth or for wood members penetrating into masonry, but I can't find any sections that regulate wood ledgers attached to the face of masonry walls in this regard.  I've done a number of investigations of older buildings and the wood ledgers are always in fine condition, so I would suspect that even possible condensation really doesn't affect the ledgers negatively.

Any thoughts, observations, etc. would be welcome.

Thanks (Happy Friday),

Dave K. Adams, S.E.

Lane Engineers, Inc.

Tulare, CA

E-mail:  davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com