RE: Masonry shear walls

I'll answer for Matt since he's gone for the day.

BCMRS is ACI 530, Building Code Requirements for Masonry Structures.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael L. Hemstad [mailto:hemstad.ml(--nospam--at)tkda.com]
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 10:59 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Masonry shear walls

Matt,
Thanks.  Consider it posted.

What is BCRMS?

Warren,
Thanks for your opinion.  That's what I think too.  I wish the Code was
more clear.  (Chisel that on my headstone.)

Mike
______________________________

Subject: RE: Masonry shear walls
From: "Foy, Warren" <Warren.Foy(--nospam--at)mhgrp.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

Considering that section 2106 is titled Seismic Design, I interpret the
1.5 to be applied to only seismic forces.

Warren Foy

From: "Petaja, Matt S" <Matt.Petaja(--nospam--at)mhgrp.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

...when design against "shear or diagonal tension stresses."  This does
not include design against bending (fb) or compression (fa).  I think
they are taking eqn. 2-25 from BCRMS, assuming shear reinforcing is
provided based upon detailing requirements of BCRMS 1.13.6.  Please post
the results for all to see.  Thanks.

-mp