Re: California Plan Stamping

On Jul 16, 2005, at 10:32 PM, Scott Maxwell wrote:

This means that in practical purposes,
they have no jurisdiction over non-licensed individuals.
You might want to check this, becasue that's not the case here in flyoverland or Florida. Admittedly all they usually do at first is issue a cease and desist order, but they can levy fines as you'll see. Here in flyoverland
In the matter of Jan H. Zicha, Unlicensed

On May 14, 2004, the Board issued a Cease and Desist Order and Notice of Right to Hearing. The Complaint Committee of the Board alleged as follows: A complaint concerning Jan H. Zicha ("Respondent") has been received and reviewed by the Board's Complaint Committee. Respondent is not currently and never has been licensed by the Board as a professional engineer in the State of Minnesota. Respondent is licensed as a professional engineer in the State of Maryland. Respondent applied to become licensed in Minnesota as a professional engineer through comity in September 2002. The Board notified Respondent that his comity application was incomplete. Respondent has since failed to complete his application for licensure. Respondent reviewed the following documents for the Hiawatha Corridor Light Rail Project that is located in Minnesota: a)Production Testing and Quality Control of the Reinforced Concrete Blocks of the Low Vibration Track (LVT) System; b)Production Testing and Quality Control of the Resilient Block Pads of the Low Vibration Track (LVT) System; c)Production Testing and Quality Control of the Rubber Boots of the Low Vibration Track (LVT) System; d) LVT Supports Design Document for Hiawatha LRT for the Hiawatha Corridor Light Rail Project. Respondent stamped these documents using his Maryland stamp. He also typed on them, "I have applied for the registration in Minnesota and the application is pending." He signed and dated the documents January 16, 2003. Respondent reviewed shop drawings for this Minnesota Hiawatha Corridor Light Rail project. He used his Maryland stamp, and typed on the drawings, "I have applied for the registration in Minnesota and the application is pending." He signed and dated these drawings January 16, 2003. In an email dated August 28, 2003, Respondent admits to stamping drawings for this project. Respondent states:

"I have stamped mentioned drawings in the past and returned them to my client Permanent Way Corporation. I do not know what action was taken on this project after that. All I can say is that the LVT track supplied by PWC is the best choice available on the world market. It requires virtually no maintenance and has at least ten time longer life expectancy than anything else of the kind, as we have already found on LVT installation at twenty locations world-wide. Ther [sic] is no secret that not all of PWC's competitors like it. However, the proper place for improvement of their products is at the drafting board."

Disciplinary Action: The Board issued the following Order, which was found to be in the public interest: Respondent shall cease and desist from holding himself out as a professional engineer in Minnesota, from practicing professional engineering in Minnesota, and from further violations of Minn. Stat. §§ 326.02 to 326.15 (2002) until such time as he becomes licensed as a professional engineer in the State of Minnesota. Respondent was also ordered to pay a civil penalty of $10,000.00 to the Board, within 60 days after the date of the Board's approval of this cease and desist order.
Looks like a parallel situation to Dennis's. I just can't believe that California can't bring the same kind of action

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/