To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 12:12 AM
Subject: Re: California Plan Stamping

I understand.  But, what I wonder is what are the Minnesota PE Board
avenues for collecting that fine?  Is it a court enforceable fine?  Or is
the only way in which they can realistically actually get that fine is if
the engineering in question ever wants his PE license in Minnesota he must
pay the fine OR maybe the Maryland Board "dings" him until he pays the
Minnesota fine?

If it is the former, then the Board has the ability to get "anyone".  If
it is one two later options, then a completely unlicensed individual
(assuming that they would never want to get licensed...which is probably
the case with Dennis' situation) could ignore they fine and not be the
worse for it.  In otherwords, if it is one of the later two options only,
then the board can get at the guy in your case cause he is licensed, even
if it is not a Minnesota license.  If he was not licensed at all in the
later two options, then the fine would be meaningless.

So, I wonder if the Minnesota PE Board can take action against anyone
(i.e. someone who practices engineering but is not licensed in any
jurisdiction).  The case you highlight is not clear in that regard as the
individual in question _IS_ licensed somewhere.

I hope that helps explain the possible distiction.

I will agree though that if I am not licensed in some state but I am
licensed in other, in those states where I am not licensed, I am no
different in the states eyes from some dude walking down the street that
is not licensed at all and never will be (except that I could get licensed
at some point in the future presumably by comity).  But, regardless, I am
different from that dude as I might want to get licensed in other states,
not to mention that running afoul of states where I am not licensed could
get me in trouble in the states in which I am licensed.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Christopher Wright wrote:

On Jul 16, 2005, at 11:31 PM, Scott Maxwell wrote:

> In you case, the person in question is a PE, but just not in
> Minnesota.  In Dennis' case, I believe the person is not licensed at
> all.
As far as the Minnesota board is concerned, if you practice in
Minnesota you need a Minnesota license. If you don't have one you're
unlicensed. I know of several cases (one personally) where people have
been gigged for having an office here and no Minnesota license. You'll
note that the report of the Board action describes the respondent as
unlicensed.

1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/