Re: California Plan Stamping

On Jul 17, 2005, at 1:12 AM, Scott Maxwell wrote:

But, what I wonder is what are the Minnesota PE Board
avenues for collecting that fine?
It isn't a criminal offense, so I suspect it's handled like a civil judgment. In Florida the proceedings are carried out before and administrative law judge. In theory I suspect hat refusal to pay might lead to garnishment of wages or civil contempt of court if an actual judgment were rendered. I don't know exactly what the process is in Minnesota, but it's pretty clear that fines are levied and collected for unlicensed practice.

So, I wonder if the Minnesota PE Board can take action against anyone
(i.e. someone who practices engineering but is not licensed in any
jurisdiction).
Licensure in any other state is irrelevant--the Minnesota law considers the respondent unlicensed, if he practices in Minnesota without a Minnesota license. That's clear by the title of the enforcement action summary. There are a number of others where enforcement actions are taken against other professions as well as engineers who are clearly not licensed anywhere.

But, regardless, I am
different from that dude as I might want to get licensed in other states, not to mention that running afoul of states where I am not licensed could
get me in trouble in the states in which I am licensed.
I confess, I don't understand exactly what you're saying. It is a fact that your Minnesota registration can be revoked if you lie about whether your license in another state were revoked, but that's not a violation in Minnesota since the Minnesota board has no jurisdiction outside the state.

It seems reasonable that Minnesota would require engineers to be licensed in Minnesota if they render services in Minnesota is to provide legal recourse in Minnesota courts in the event of negligent or incompetent practice. I would certainly expect that California would have similar provisions to insure that engineers from elsewhere, were suitably conversant with seismic requirements before they hung out a shingle. And I'd certainly expect that California would not make such requirements without enforcement power. The Florida board <http://www.fbpe.org/disaction/index.php> has a number of similar cases involving unlicensed practice.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/