Re: California Plan Stamping

Again, you could be right (nice pun there).  It may be that the PE law in
Minnesota (and other states) is written in such a way that the PE Board
can take action directly against non-licensed individuals.  But, I will
point out in the scenario that you outline, it still requires a civil
court to be involved in order for the Board to collect the fine as
presumably the Board does not have direct authoity over a non-licensed
individual.  It may be that hte PE act in Minnesota does give the Board
the option to pursue things in the civil court.  For a licensed engineer,
however, that fine would be a direct action as if they don't want their
license suspended or taken away, they would have to pay the fine.  Thus,
presumably the Board would not need to resort to court to "enforce" it
(now, the individual could presumably fight hte fine in court if they
wanted).  If the Minnesota Board has the authority to pursue civil court
cases, then I agree that an individual licensed in other states but not
Minn is 100% like a completely non-licensed individual (although the Board
would still have other "pressure points" to enforce a fine against some
one licensed in another state, especially if that person wants to get
licensed in Minn).

I believe that some states the PE laws are written in such a way that the
Board may not have the recourse of taking it to civil court but can only
forward it to a prosecutor for possible criminal court action.  In
otherwords, the legislature may not have given the PE Board authority to
take direct action against non-licensed individuals.  If so, then an
individual licensed in other states but the such as state without such
civil court authority is slightly different than a 100% non-licensed
individual as such a licensed engineer might some day want a license in
that state who issued a fine or that state's board could forward the
judgement/complaint to those states in which the individual is licensed,
who might take some action (i.e. some states could construe that as an
ethics violation, even if it did not happen in their state, and take
action...don't really know if that would happen or not.

The thing to remember is that not all PE acts/laws in all states are
equal.  Some are particularly strong, while others are particularly weak
(I believe that Michigan is an example of the latter).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI