RE: 1x4 bracing on bottom of deck joists for sway bracing in category D siesmic and 80mph exposure C wind? (fwd)

Akm,

I think you could do the design based on ordinary principles of statics and
material properties.  But it may be difficult to demonstrate by those
principles that it is a workable system.  If you would use west-coast
lumber, 1x4's are not ordinarily stress-rated.  However, the grading rules
allow 1x material to be graded by the rules for joists and planks, but that
would be an out-of-the-ordinary product and you may not be able to find a
supplier.

You can't get many nails or other connectors into the end of a 1x4; it may
be difficult to develop the capacity you need.

You'll need to follow the load from the 1x's into the system that anchors
the deck to the main structure using statics to design effective details.

Check the system for compression as well as for tension in the 1x4's.

If the 1x4's are exposed under an open deck system, stormwater that
accumulates and stands on the tops of the 1x4 members may lead to
moisture-related damage to the members and their connectors after a few
seasons, making the system ineffective.  Therefore, consider preservative
treated lumber [further complicating availability], and hot-dipped
galvanized or stainless steel connectors.

Nels Roselund, SE
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net