From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 9:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Golf your way to continuing professional competency

Yes, you heard me right.  I just received a solicitation in the mail
from Virginia Tech's Continuing and Professional Education department
who is offering a course called "gravity golf", "learning about the
physics and physiology of the game."  It's two hours a week, from 3pm to
4pm or from 4pm to 5pm, MW or TTh, for twelve weeks.  They are offering
a certificate for 2.4 CEUs on completion. The price? A mere $995.
That's a year and a half worth of professional development credit (at
15h/yr), and I'm sure there will be some study time down at the new Pete
Dye designed course that fronts on the New River.  Obviously, as a 12
week course, this will only benefit those in physical proximity to the
university, but...sheesh.

I'm not sure whether to shake my head or dust off the sticks and sign
up. Actually, it does me no good in CEUs, since I'm taking an advanced
foundations class at Tech this fall, which will get me 45 hours of
credit. Then again, catching my father's handicap might be nice, too.
Besides, how often do you get to deduct golf lessons?