RE: 1x4 bracing on bottom of deck joists for sway bracing in category D siesmic and 80mph exposure C wind? (fwd)

It sounds like "akm" is attempting to use "let-in"
bracing as described in the Conventional Construction
portion of the code to provide lateral bracing of a
deck...
I would say "yes," but only if you "engineer" the
design and detailing of these 1x4 horizontal braces
and connections...  Otherwise, you'd have to feel
reassured that the deck will rotate back to the wall
it's connected to...
HTH.
David Topete, SE
SF, CA

--- "Dennis S. Wish, PE" <dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net>

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs