From: Gary Grinstead [mailto:Gary.Grinstead(--nospam--at)ci.stockton.ca.us]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 8:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 16d Common vs 16d Sinker vs 16d Short

It has come to my attention that virtually all houses in my area are
using 16d sinkers instead of the 16d commons typically specified on the
plans.  Additionally in some instances 16d shorts are being used.  The
nail sizes are as follows:

16d common = 3-1/2" x 0.162"  diameter
16d sinker = 3-1/4" x 0.148" diameter
16d short = 3-1/4" x 0.131" diameter

There is no way I'd accept a 16d short which has less than 70% of the
capacity of the 16d common.  My question is about the 16d sinker which
has about 84% capacity.  Is the general feeling that a combination of
(1) factor of safety on capacity, (2) conservative live loads, and (3)
additional nailing (calc'd to 3.4 nails --- use 4 nails) will make up
for the shortfall or is this something you'd call the contractor on?

Gary Grinstead, SE
Plancheck Engineer
City of Stockton, CA