Eads Bridge/St Louis RE: Bridge/building

Today's discussion of putting the pizza shop on a bridge has reminded me of
my own thoughts about the Eads Bridge in St. Louis.

The Eads Bridge is one of those old-timey bridges of historical and
innovative importance, built around the same time as the Brooklyn Bridge.
(historical use of caissons, very early use of steel versus iron, difficult
working conditions on the Mississippi river, etc).

At the time I lived in St Louis, 20 years ago (working for Sverdrup &
Parcel) the bridge was open to vehicles but it was in really decrepit
condition. I don't know if it's had any refurbishment done since then but I
haven't seen anything in Civil Engineering magazine, etc, about major
restoration.

The Eads Bridge is adjacent to the Jefferson Memorial (which includes the
famous Arch and a large riverfront park), the riverboat docks, and a
touristy entertainment district. It makes sense to include this beautiful
structure as an attraction.

I had in mind that the lower deck (bridge is 3 shallow arches with a lower
through deck originally meant for trains, and an upper deck for vehicles and
pedestrians) could be transformed into shoppes and restaurants, and the
upper deck closed to traffic and made into a beautiful promenade with
seating, flower boxes, etc. Strolling out there to enjoy the cool breeze
along the river on a hot summer evening would be delightful.

I guess I should be sending these comments on to the City of St Louis. But
does anyone here know how things are these days with this bridge?

   Tom Barsh, P.E.
   Technical Support Engineer
   Codeware Inc
   www.codeware.com