RE: Unlicensed firms and engineers

It comes down to liability, plain and simple.  When
people see a stamp on a set of drawings or
calculations, they are "reassured" that the
information presented therein is up to "code."  That
person stamping drawings should be doing with the
confidence that if the project is built correctly,
there should be no problems.  Should something fail,
the name on that stamp is legally liable.

Yes, many structures throughout Europe are older than
many nations.  However, a lot of them are overbuilt
and massive, and many are not necessarily prone to
many natural disasters.

Without a stamp, who becomes liable for a structure
that fails?  Too often, people such as contractors or
designers will advertise such design services, use a
fake stamp, get PAID, then set up shop elsewhere under
a different name.  They flat out don't care about
providing a quality product, because they are more
interested in making money...  Sick, but it happens
too often...

My $0.02...
DT, SE
SF, CA