FBC Standards

After last year's canes that hit the FL panhandle, and after Dennis I am sure too, there was media discussion on how that area had lobbied hard to get the standards lowered when the FBC was being written. If you look at a current wind map in the FBC it does not make sense. Pay particular close to the Big Bend region, or the "arm-pit" on the Gulf side (only a geographic description), and there are wind contour lines that seem to bend a bit, and a big dashed line which means "EXCEPTION" to the wind-borne debris requirements. This area also has some coastal properties owned by Tallahassee politicians. Just my conspiracy theory.......

The paper said those areas were literally paying the price for those lowered standards. It would be nice to see insurance companies lobby against the builders and politicians pushing through lower standards. It would be a smart investment on their part.

Andrew Kester, PE
Lake Mary, FL