RE: Unlicensed firms and engineers

WOW.  I like this description.  Very to the point.

Arvel
-----Original Message-----
From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 7:16 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Unlicensed firms and engineers

Kevin Polin wrote:

Dear Board,

?I'm amazed to find out how many people generally don't know that stamping a set of plans is the result of a design, not a separate service we offer.?

I am amazed that you do not see this as a legitimate business opportunity.

 ?There is a common misconception, aided by the plan-stamping architects and engineers out there, that plan-stamping is a legitimate service. Most people assume that it is the equivalent of a private consultant reviewing a set of documents for compliance, and required because the town or county planning office is to lazy or too risk-averse to do it themselves.?
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->

I do not want to get flamed here but maybe you should reconsider your thinking. If a geotechnical engineer gives you a recommendation and you follow the recommendation then that?s an accepted form a business.

Well, the Geotechnical engineer provides me a report with his seal.  I didn't do the work, so I don't claim the result - my drawings either note a bearing pressure in accordance with the IBC prescriptive loads, or reference the report by name, date, and person sealing the work.  Same for civil drawings.  I'm not sealing their work. In fact, I won't commission their work either - I require the owner procure the report directly.

There is a "business opportunity" here, but it relies on the acceptance of the building department.  I have reviewed a set of plans prepared by other, out-of-state engineers.  If I find that the analysis is correct, I will write a letter stating my findings and seal the letter. For laymen like yourself, I suppose the seal isn't clear enough in its meaning. A seal does not indicate the approval of the signing engineer, but an affirmation that the engineer personally prepared or substantially supervised the preparation of the work (plans are just a readable form of the design and analysis behind the structure).  Perhaps, if every seal bore the inscription: "This document was created under my direct supervision" it would make more sense as to why it is illegal to "plan-stamp."