Re: Plan stampers

Well, designs don't materialize out of thin air. Somebody has to create them before they can be lines on paper. Sometimes this is a "designer", sometimes a computer program, sometimes an engineer. It sounds like the code folks are requiring that the somebody should be a PE, even if it happens to be a PE entering data into a computer program, the thought is that the PE should be reviewing - and at least spot checking - the data that comes out to make sure that the program running correctly. They're asking that the plans be properly prepared, with back calcs done by a registered engineer to create the design (not calcs created to match the design). Code enforcement has been so lax in the past, that methods of business which don't comply with code has been allow to become standard practice.

I don't see whats so hard about it. I do engineering for a local fab house when an inspector or architect calls for it. They send me the arch. plans and their preferred panel layout. I do the calcs and note the drawings with thicknesses, reinforcement, special details (rarely necessary), and connection requirements. They do all the drafting, I back check the prints, and when the drawings are complete and accurate I seal them. Architects do the same thing - they lay it out, I analyze, size, annotate, and approve. Getting the engineer involved early is relatively foreign to manufacturers who have never had to do it in the past.

Jim Wilson wrote:

A rhetorical question about the "illegality" of plan
stamping -
Why do some inspectors require small project design
AND fabrication drawings with engineering seals ON THE
DRAWING?  They are effectively asking us to break the
law, aren't they - that is if the drawing was
originally created by the fabricator?  There are
plenty of small-time fab shops that have no choice but
to hire an engineer to stamp drawings created by their
in-house people.  And if every engineer followed the
"letter of the law" and insisted on creating their own
drawings on their own letterhead, these guys would be
out of business.

I don't mean to suggest that the law is there to be
broken, but isn't there any room for interpretation? These board disciplinary decisions that have been
mentioned make the matter sound so black and white.

Jim Wilson
Stroudsburg, PA