Re: Unlicensed firms and engineers

It was stated "Engineering is about calculations.
Anyone can draw a picture."

Engineering is not just about calculations.
Engineering is about excercising judgement, servicing
the needs of our client, and complying with the code.
In many cases only minimal calculations are needed.
Often times more effort and imagination goes into
creating the details.  Not everybody can detail.

Our end product is not calculations.  It is our
instruments of service (drawings, specifications,
and/or reports).  Focusing on calculations to the
detriment of rest of the process is a easy way to
spend fee and to go down the wrong track.

Mark Gilligan