From: Gary Grinstead [mailto:Gary.Grinstead(--nospam--at)ci.stockton.ca.us]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 7:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 16d Common vs 16d Sinker vs 16d Short

It has come to my attention that virtually all houses in my area are using
16d sinkers instead of the 16d commons typically specified on the plans.
Additionally in some instances 16d shorts are being used.  The nail sizes are
as follows:

16d common = 3-1/2" x 0.162"  diameter
16d sinker = 3-1/4" x 0.148" diameter
16d short = 3-1/4" x 0.131" diameter

There is no way I'd accept a 16d short which has less than 70% of the
capacity of the 16d common.  My question is about the 16d sinker which has
about 84% capacity.  Is the general feeling that a combination of (1) factor
of safety on capacity, (2) conservative live loads, and (3) additional
nailing (calc'd to 3.4 nails --- use 4 nails) will make up for the shortfall
or is this something you'd call the contractor on?

Gary Grinstead, SE
Plancheck Engineer
City of Stockton, CA