Re: Holdown Bolt Through the Supported Beam

Would a 1/6" tolerance be good approach to the problem?
Joseph
On Jul 21, 2005, at 2:25 PM, Garner, Robert wrote:

Can't think of any code restraints but my experiece with field practice is that many contractors make a mess of the beam when field drilling it.
Plus they will want to make the hole way oversize.

Perhaps overkill, but I make such items subject to structural
observation by the Engineer of Record.

Bob Garner, S.E.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Harouni [mailto:jharouni(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 2:16 PM
To: Struc Engineers Association
Subject: Holdown Bolt Through the Supported Beam

Hi,
When one has a wood shear wall and the 1 inch bolt of the holdown
goes through the center of a wood beam in the story below. How does
one makes account of the missing 1 inch in the wood beam width. Just
using a 4x12 in the calculations in place of actual  6x12 will do the
job or there are other considerations involved?
Thanks,
Joseph Haroui