RE: pipe bollard for semi-truck

Just to think outside the box, you could design the bollard on the same principals we use in ship fender designs.  Calculate the kinetic energy of the moving vehicle and equate it to the elastic energy that must be stored in the bollard - but the bollard will be humungous.  Dave Maynard is right on when he says bollards aren't meant to remain elastic.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Bruce Holcomb [mailto:bholcomb(--nospam--at)brpae.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 2:37 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: pipe bollard for semi-truck

We have been asked to design a pipe bollard for a semi-truck.  It is a typical situation where the truck will be moving slowly (maybe 5 mph max?) as it pulls into an interior loading dock.  We are looking at AASHTO, but aren’t finding anything specific for this situation (we have found info on highway guardrails in the AASHTO manual).  What force and applied at what height should we be designing for?  Does anybody have any recommended details?

Bruce D. Holcomb