Re: Holdown Bolt Through the Supported Beam

Joesph:

I calculate the section property accounting for the hole.  More often than not, the maximum moment is at the holddown location and this is where the section properties are the smallest because of the hole.

Gautam

>>> jharouni(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net 07/21/05 02:16PM >>>
Hi,
When one has a wood shear wall and the 1 inch bolt of the holdown
goes through the center of a wood beam in the story below. How does
one makes account of the missing 1 inch in the wood beam width. Just
using a 4x12 in the calculations in place of actual  6x12 will do the
job or there are other considerations involved?
Thanks,
Joseph Haroui