RE: Can Americans Compete ?

I don't get it.  We know that the problem is the liberal approach to education with a move away form "Competition of grades" to no one fails (it is just deferred success).  All the studies, experts show that we have to have grades.  But we don't.  Why?

Arvel
-----Original Message-----
From: Caldwell, Stan [mailto:scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com]
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 10:09 AM
To: SEAINT Listserv
Subject: OT: Can Americans Compete ?

This is the title of a compelling article by Geoffrey Colvin in the July 25, 2005 Issue of Fortune Magazine.  It is an eight-page summary of the current and future problems facing the United States due to the ever-increasing globalization of products, capital, and labor.  Engineering and engineering education are brought up repeatedly.  It is a thought provoking article that is a worthwhile read, even for people like me who support globalization.  The solution, if there is one, lies mostly in education.

Here is a link where you can read the article without buying the magazine.  Don't procrastinate, the link might only remain active for a short while.

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/articles/0,15114,1081269,00.html

Enjoy!

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas