From: Caldwell, Stan [mailto:scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com]
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 11:43 AM
To: SEAINT Listserv
Subject: OT: Freeware Recommendations

As some of you know, I am a big believer in high quality freeware (not to be confused with shareware, adware, or crippleware).  I greatly admire the individuals and companies that make the results of their efforts available at no cost as a public service.  Their products tend to be tightly focused without a lot of extraneous bells and whistles (a.k.a., bloat) that add little or no value.  Also, as a person of Scottish heritage, I like to make lots of money and then keep as much of it as possible.

Most freeware is intended solely for personal, noncommercial use on home computers.  My use fits that description, and I spend a few evenings every month prowling the world for new and better freeware.  Every so often, I post my favorite discoveries on this Listserv so that the rest of you can benefit.  Here are three of my latest favorites:

SpamBayes  (http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/)

If you use Microsoft Outlook (not to be confused with Outlook Express) as your email client, this is far and away the best spam filtering plug-in.  It has a slick interface, runs quickly and reliably, and learns reasonably fast.  It is much better than my previous favorite, Outclass.  If you use any email client other than Microsoft Outlook, then I continue to recommend POPfile as a proxy filter.

Avast! 4 Home Edition  (http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html)

This is my all time favorite antivirus program.  It is much better than my previous freeware favorite, AVG Free.  Arguably, I think that it is also somewhat better than the various commercial programs that I have used:  Norton, McAfee, and Panda.  In addition to manual scanning, it offers a complete suite of powerful and configurable resident protection services for file operations, inbound and outbound email, web surfing, P2P file sharing, and instant messaging.  It runs on all 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows with automatic program and signature file updates.  All of this is provided with only a minimal intrusion on system resources.  Three cheers for the Czech Republic!

CutePDF Writer  (http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp)

Quickly and accurately convert virtually any electronic document into a PDF file.  This installs as a pseudo printer and couldn't be any easier to use.  As freeware, it is also about $300 less than the commercial alternative, Adobe Acrobat.

Real US Flag Screensaver (http://www.download.com/Real-US-Flag-Screensaver/3000-2407_4-10308926.html)

This is a special July bonus!  For those of you that like the American flag as much as I do, here is an outstanding freeware screensaver of Old Glory randomly waving in the breeze, with or without gusts, either before and after a battle.

Enjoy!

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Plano, Texas
Hometown of Lance Armstrong !!