From: Garner, Robert [mailto:rgarner(--nospam--at)moffattnichol.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 3:51 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Holdown Bolt Through the Supported Beam

I think you meant 1/16" clearance? With a 6x in lieu of a 4x, you have
two inches of "extra".  My feeling is that a 1/4" oversize hole will
work well in this case. Leaves 1/8" all around, and considering the 11"
or so of length I think you need a little more clearance.  As the wood
shrinks across the grain, you don't want it to bear against the bolt and
force the wood to split.  A plate washer against the wood is a good
idea, too.

Love to hear from any contractor types out there for their input.

Bob Garner, S.E.