From: Shapton & Partners [mailto:shapton(--nospam--at)nwlink.com]
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 12:57 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: OT: Can Americans Compete ?

What I find most interesting is that no one seems to care _why_
globalization is occurring.  No one seems to care that the efficiencies
of Adam Smith are _not_ part of the model.  Education?  What happens to
our economy if everybody is "educated"?  Who works on your car, cleans
your house, cooks your meal, repairs your (you fill in the blank). Who
fights for your privileged status? Who sacrifices his/her life so that
his/her son or daughter can still mow your lawn. What are the
efficiencies that globalization _really_ exploits?  Do you actually
think that maybe we need poor people to have rich people?  Sorry.  Too
fast.  Lets get there a little slower.

Assume y = 2^n,  where y equals the number of your descendants and n =
number of generations - Gross approximation of zero population growth.
Pick n = 15 as 400 years isn't too long of a time.  How many descendants
will you have?  How much of "you" will be in anyone of them?  How much
of "people other than"you" will in them? How many do you think will be
poor?  Do you think your minority elite will survive intact?  What
percentage of your descendants will actually know each other?  Now whose
interest is really your interest?

Is macro economics really based upon a circular equation?