Re: OT: Can Americans Compete ?

What I find most interesting is that no one seems to care _why_ globalization is occurring. No one seems to care that the efficiencies of Adam Smith are _not_ part of the model. Education? What happens to our economy if everybody is "educated"? Who works on your car, cleans your house, cooks your meal, repairs your (you fill in the blank). Who fights for your privileged status? Who sacrifices his/her life so that his/her son or daughter can still mow your lawn. What are the efficiencies that globalization _really_ exploits? Do you actually think that maybe we need poor people to have rich people? Sorry. Too fast. Lets get there a little slower.

Assume y = 2^n, where y equals the number of your descendants and n = number of generations - Gross approximation of zero population growth. Pick n = 15 as 400 years isn't too long of a time. How many descendants will you have? How much of "you" will be in anyone of them? How much of "people other than"you" will in them? How many do you think will be poor? Do you think your minority elite will survive intact? What percentage of your descendants will actually know each other? Now whose interest is really your interest?
Is macro economics really based upon a circular equation?

Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

What I find most interesting is that this situation exists in the US. There is a great disparity in the cost of living between the most and least expensive places to live in the US. Still, companies chose to locate in San Francisco and New York, and pay the differential, even when the business is almost totally information based and needs no real physical presence. There seems to still be value in certain areas to having bodies on the spot.