From: Shapton & Partners [mailto:shapton(--nospam--at)nwlink.com]
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 12:57 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: OT: Can Americans Compete ?

What I find most interesting is that no one seems to care _why_
globalization is occurring.  No one seems to care that the efficiencies
of Adam Smith are _not_ part of the model.  Education?  What happens to
our economy if everybody is "educated"?  Who works on your car, cleans
your house, cooks your meal, repairs your (you fill in the blank). Who
fights for your privileged status? Who sacrifices his/her life so that
his/her son or daughter can still mow your lawn. What are the
efficiencies that globalization _really_ exploits?  Do you actually
think that maybe we need poor people to have rich people?  Sorry.  Too
fast.  Lets get there a little slower.

Assume y = 2^n,  where y equals the number of your descendants and n =
number of generations - Gross approximation of zero population growth.
Pick n = 15 as 400 years isn't too long of a time.  How many descendants
will you have?  How much of "you" will be in anyone of them?  How much
of "people other than"you" will in them? How many do you think will be
poor?  Do you think your minority elite will survive intact?  What
percentage of your descendants will actually know each other?  Now whose
interest is really your interest?

Is macro economics really based upon a circular equation?

Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

> What I find most interesting is that this situation exists in the US.
> There is a great disparity in the cost of living between the most and
> least expensive places to live in the US. Still, companies chose to
> locate in San Francisco and New York, and pay the differential, even
> when the business is almost totally information based and needs no
> real physical presence. There seems to still be value in certain areas
> to having bodies on the spot.

> * *   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers *
> Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To *   subscribe
> (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
> *
> *   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> *   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you *
> send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted *   without
> your permission. Make sure you visit our web *   site at:

This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named addressee(s) and
delete the transmitted material from your computer and server.  In no event
shall this material be read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than
the named addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
the named addressee(s).