RE: Braced Length of Steel Beam W/ Formed Slab

Jim,

Thanks for the information.  I really appreciate it very much.  This is a formed slab due to fork truck traffic and hard rubber tires.  I got some advice from the List back in May to use a formed slab instead of metal deck due to the dynamic action of the fork truck.  I had also been advised not to use composite construction for similar reason and to permit future holes in the floor.  It didn’t make sense to me to weld studs if they weren’t used.  Detailing the deck like you suggested should make forming easier and lock the flange in sufficiently for lateral bracing.

Rich

From: Kestner, James W. [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 8:20 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Braced Length of Steel Beam W/ Formed Slab

If plywood is used, it is formed so that the top surface of the plywood is the same elevation as the bottom of the top flange. This locks the beam and the concrete slab together to provide continuous lateral bracing of the top flange. A detail of this is recommended so that the contractor knows how you would like the slab formed.

Jim K.