From: Caldwell, Stan [mailto:scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 1:26 PM
To: SEAINT Listserv
Subject: RE: OT- Can Americans Compete

Dennis:

I have no objection to the length of your posts.  It is their width that annoys me.  Lately, your posts are running about three screens wide and require serious scrolling for each line.  Maybe I am the only one experiencing this problem.  If not, you need to set your email client to wrap your text.

I do have an objection to the content of your recent post (excerpts below).  My post on this subject was simply to make readers aware of a magazine article that I thought was particularly interesting.  I offered no personal opinions in that post (the education conclusion came right out of the article).  My opinions on globalization have not changed one iota.  They can be found in the archives of this list.

You chose to respond by once again lobbing spit balls at my employer.  The following is offered to set the record straight.

Halff Associates does not hire or employ H-1b workers.  I currently have 3 openings for structural engineers with masters degrees and 0-6 years experience.  I have been advertising these positions for about 6 weeks.  More than 90% of the candidates responding to date have only student visas.  All of these candidates have been abruptly turned away with the explanation that Halff Associates only considers individuals who are U.S. citizens or have permanent resident status.  Yes, I realize that there is a website out there in cyberspace which claims that Halff Associates uses H-1b workers.  However, as a principal and significant stockholder in the firm since 1988, I can attest that this has certainly not been the case during my tenure.

Halff Associates does very little work outside the United States.  Currently, we have no foreign projects underway.  In the past, we have done some projects in Mexico and Central America.  We will continue to look for opportunities to work in those areas.  All of our projects, domestic and foreign, have been done by the employees in our 7 Texas offices.  We have no foreign offices and use no foreign workers.

There currently is a pronounced shortage of structural engineers in Texas and wages are rising accordingly.  My ongoing search has so far netted only one individual meriting an interview.  Last Friday, he politely declined what I thought was a very generous offer.  At least in Texas, wages are certainly not depressed.

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas
Land of Lance

P.S. > Crawford is in Central Texas, not West Texas.

Dennis Wish wrote:

Stan,

I am surprised after past refusals to accept the possibility that outsourcing, H1B or Globalization could possibly be anything but good for the United States economy. You concluded that education was the key issue, but the overall theme of this article is that this downward wage movement is unprecedented in US History.

I'm surprised at your posting of this article because you too have encouraged your companies use of non-immigrant status employees who can communicate in other countries that you do projects, but many of these projects are coordinated in the US with employees Halff has brought in on H-1b and other non-immigrant status. Your argument at the time was the lack of experienced and educated potential employees which I find difficult to accept in two of Texas's largest cities Dallas and Houston. At the point, you discounted the worry that some of us and which we described on this

We've gotten off track Stan, and regardless of your love for your children and your pride of what they have accomplished, one of these days without your help they may find themselves out of work - replaced with lower cost foreign labor. Now that we got this far, you tell me what we should do to protect our families?

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish, PE