From: Caldwell, Stan [mailto:scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:26 AM
To: SEAINT Listserv
Subject: RE: OT- Can Americans Compete

Dennis:

I have no objection to the length of your posts.  It is their width that
annoys me.  Lately, your posts are running about three screens wide and
require serious scrolling for each line.  Maybe I am the only one
experiencing this problem.  If not, you need to set your email client to
wrap your text.

I do have an objection to the content of your recent post (excerpts below).
My post on this subject was simply to make readers aware of a magazine
article that I thought was particularly interesting.  I offered no personal
opinions in that post (the education conclusion came right out of the
article).  My opinions on globalization have not changed one iota.  They can
be found in the archives of this list.

You chose to respond by once again lobbing spit balls at my employer.  The
following is offered to set the record straight.

Halff Associates does not hire or employ H-1b workers.  I currently have 3
openings for structural engineers with masters degrees and 0-6 years
experience.  I have been advertising these positions for about 6 weeks.
More than 90% of the candidates responding to date have only student visas.
All of these candidates have been abruptly turned away with the explanation
that Halff Associates only considers individuals who are U.S. citizens or
have permanent resident status.  Yes, I realize that there is a website out
there in cyberspace which claims that Halff Associates uses H-1b workers.
However, as a principal and significant stockholder in the firm since 1988,
I can attest that this has certainly not been the case during my tenure.

Halff Associates does very little work outside the United States.
Currently, we have no foreign projects underway.  In the past, we have done
some projects in Mexico and Central America.  We will continue to look for
opportunities to work in those areas.  All of our projects, domestic and
foreign, have been done by the employees in our 7 Texas offices.  We have no
foreign offices and use no foreign workers.

There currently is a pronounced shortage of structural engineers in Texas
and wages are rising accordingly.  My ongoing search has so far netted only
one individual meriting an interview.  Last Friday, he politely declined
what I thought was a very generous offer.  At least in Texas, wages are
certainly not depressed.

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas
Land of Lance

P.S. > Crawford is in Central Texas, not West Texas.

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤

Dennis Wish wrote:

Stan,

I am surprised after past refusals to accept the possibility that
outsourcing, H1B or Globalization could possibly be anything but good for
the United States economy. You concluded that education was the key issue,
but the overall theme of this article is that this downward wage movement is
unprecedented in US History.

I'm surprised at your posting of this article because you too have
encouraged your companies use of non-immigrant status employees who can
communicate in other countries that you do projects, but many of these
projects are coordinated in the US with employees Halff has brought in on
H-1b and other non-immigrant status. Your argument at the time was the lack
of experienced and educated potential employees which I find difficult to
accept in two of Texas's largest cities Dallas and Houston. At the point,
you discounted the worry that some of us and which we described on this

We've gotten off track Stan, and regardless of your love for your children
and your pride of what they have accomplished, one of these days without
your help they may find themselves out of work - replaced with lower cost
foreign labor. Now that we got this far, you tell me what we should do to
protect our families?

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish, PE