From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 11:56 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Rectifying faulty beveling in Moment connection

Man-o-man is THIS a great story or what?

You need to write this up and give presentations at tech-society and
(esp.) AGC meetings!

First of all, you aren't responsible for the contractor's screw-up (and by
"contractor" I mean "him and his whole army" including HIS fabricator, HIS
erector, etc.)

I'm sure you know that, but this is Premise Zero.

Second, maybe it's time to make the contractor take responsibility. When
you are asked "what's your solution?" you might be tempted to respond
"well, actually, I was going to ask you the same thing. Perhaps you need
to get _your engineer_ to come up with some proposals for a fix."

Usually when you say "your engineer" the contractor's response is "but I
don't have an engineer." Have a copy of the yellow pages handy, and slide
it across the table to him. Tell him to look under
"Engineers--Professional" and see if he can get one.

My problem with being pushed into a hasty "solution" for a problem with
this is that you then take a huge liability for anything that might go
wrong. In essence, not only is the contractor putting you on the spot for
your time (compensated or not, because most of us have more than one
client to worry about), but he's also shifting any future problems off
onto you as well.

It's well and good to say "the owner will sign an indemnity agreement,"
but those kinds of things simply end up as part of one more brief filed by
your (or your insurer's) attorney should it all turn pear-shaped.

So, HE needs to find his OWN engineer, who can supply his opinions about a
solution, and you can serve your PROPER role as the EOR, reviewing and
accepting or rejecting such proposals on behalf of the owner.

I realize this might be a bit unrealistic, but there are plenty of
examples where EORs have, with their typical attention to STRUCTURAL
detail, bent over backward only to get punched in the stomach at the end
if further problems arise.

"No good deed goes unpunished," and that was never more true than in the
world of construction.