RE: Weak-Axis SMF Connection

Refugio/SEAINT:

To the best of my knowledge, there currently does not exist a prequalified
SMF moment connection that is tested and approved in a weak-axis
application.  The condition is simply avoided.  However, due to a need that
occurred on a large hospital project some years ago that required every
connection to be a moment connection, SidePlate Systems did conduct a
successful full-scale testing program on a dual-strong axis (e.g. using a
cruciform column) with moment connections on 3 sides.

As such, today SidePlate Systems' ICC-ES 5366 report does include not only
uniaxial one and two-sided moment connections, but also three and four-sided
moment connections for any practicable beam-to-column combinations with no
additional testing required.  This connection system satisfies all
applicable OMF, IMF and SMF requirements under the IBC and the UBC, and
ANSI/AISC 341-02, including Section 9, Section 10 and Appendix P for both
new and retrofit construction applications.

I hope that the above information helps answer your question.  With respect
to your specific situation on this SMF hospital project, I would be happy to
take a quick look at your frame layout and share with you my experience of
100s of project evaluations and designs that I have personally been involved
in.

Best regards,

Henry A. Gallart, S.E.
Senior Vice President