RE: AISC 341 7.2 slip critical? pre-engineered metal bldg end plates, shear plates as drag struts

Scott,

Class A is bare steel, clean mill scale, not blast-cleaned. That’s Class B.

Drag struts are part of the SLRS.

You may want to take a look at the new AISC Seismic (2005) available for download at www.aisc.org. We specifically addressed end plate moment connections and their faying surfaces in that document.

By the way, our Steel Connections: Seismic Applications seminars are now scheduled. Buena Park and South San Francisco will be in October, Seattle / Tukwila is the week following Thanksgiving. Go to www.steelstructures.com for details. We’ll also offer this seminar in New York and in Boston in October.

Bob Shaw

SSTC