RE: Steel flitch plates

A flitch plate design link is available here:

http://www.toolbase.org/Docs/MainNav/WoodFrameConstruction/2947_flitchplate.pdf?TrackID=0&CategoryID=1153&DocumentID=2947

But I interpret that these procedures ( I haven't read
cover to cover) are written for cases where the steel
is sandwiched inside, not for a steel-2x-2x-2x-steel
configuration.  Neglecting local plate buckling and
bearing concerns, the engineering should work in a
similar fashion as to the plate being sandwiched
inside.

Drilling a proper hole and hitting the hole in the
steel on the far side is also a concern.

Jim