Bruce Bolt

The seismologist, Bruce Bolt, has recently died. He was former director of the Berkeley Seismological Laboratory and served as chairman of the California Seismic Safety Commission. Among his books there were three directed to the general public. They are:

   Earthquakes, 5th edition

   Earthquakes and geological discovery Science American Library

   Nuclear explosions and earthquakes : the parted veil

The first book was revised and issued in 2003 and is a very good introduction to earthquakes. The second two are out of print but can probably be found online. The last book deals with using seismology to monitor nuclear explosions, not in the line of earthquake engineering,
but as a former geophysicist I found it interesting.