From: Mark E. Deardorff [mailto:medeardorff(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 1:58 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Building Separation

I am being accused of being too conservative and I need a reality check. I
have a group of four identical row homes with a two inch separation between
them. Being identical I believe I can assume them to have identical dynamic
properties but the Delta sub MT value would seem to require a greater
separation.

My client pointed out to me that they built a similar project where the two
inch separation wasn't questioned. I note that there is an exception which
might apply here since the buildings will probably sway in phase.

My solution was to run the diaphragm through but that is impossible due to
legal requirements.

What do the list members think?

Thanks,

Mark E. Deardorff