Re: FL Board Disciplinary Actions

On Jul 29, 2005, at 10:53 AM, Andrew Kester, PE wrote:

Here is the Florida Board website with the disciplinary actions, though it seems shorter then the newsletter we recently received.
Looks like a different list. Some of the names are the same; some are different. Hard to tell which is the more current.

With all the suspicions that the Florida board may simply be jacking up enforcement action to line its own pockets, I'd nearly forgotten that Gov Bush recently privatized (sort of) the enforcement function. So I'm shocked--shocked, I say--that anyone would think a private corporation might attempt to take financial advantage of a sacred trust. ;->

Truth to tell, I think a little shake-up in the enforcement might do the engineering business some good. We'll see if privatization shakes out the cobwebs or just created techno-police with interlocking management and a fat contract.

Here's how it works--
Under Section 471.038, Florida Statutes, administrative, investigative and prosecutorial services are provided to the Florida Board of Professional Engineers by the Florida Engineers Management Corporation (FEMC). FEMC is a non-profit, single purpose corporation that operates through a contract with the Department of Business and Professional Regulation. The FEMC Board of Directors is composed of seven members. Five members are appointed by the Florida Board of Professional Engineers and must be Florida registrants. Two members are appointed by the Secretary of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation and must be laypersons not regulated by the Board.

Minnesota hasn't gone this route yet. Any other states do it this way or is it just Florida?

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/