To all the PT gurus:

I have seen many PT SOG designed for gravtiy load.  If a slab supports a three story building, as this thread suggest, how is the overturning forces from seismic forces   on the three story building accounted for in the footing design - especially if the bearing soil is very poor (say 500 psf).  The overturning forces will create eccentric loading on the slab and therefore unequal soil pressure across the width of the SOG.

Gautam

James.Lutz(--nospam--at)earthtech.com 07/29/05 12:09PM >>>
There's a timely article on this in the latest issue of Concret
Construction. See this link. ftp://imgs.ebuild.com/woc/C05G051.pdf
-----Original Message-----
From: Don DeVore [mailto:cavity-wall(--nospam--at)aaahawk.com] Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 11:52 AM To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org Subject: PT SOG

List,

I'm down to the slab on grade of a three story concrete fourplex with post tensioned floor/ceilings. I understand that design process well. The slab on grade seems too simple and thus I don't know the best way to do it.. Is running the tendons parallel to the surface through the middle of the six inch slab (24" oc 175 psi compression) the strategy, and/or a little draping down and back up under the wall locations, or supplying positive moment bonded reinforcement under the wall locations equivalent to what the negative bonded reinforcement would be if it was a suspended slab? The maximum 12" wide wall bearing pressure (factored) on the sog is 17 ksf. Thank You.

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: http://www.seaint.org ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********

This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named addressee(s) and
delete the transmitted material from your computer and server.  In no event
shall this material be read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than
the named addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
the named addressee(s).

--
Walter DeVore
Owner/Engineer