RE: welding inspection

Jim,

I think some of the other responses are delving into territory you were not
asking about. You're focusing on prequalification, not inspection, in your
query.

To be prequalified, they simply have to meet AWS D1.1 section 3. The figures
in the AISC manual you referred to were copied from AWS D1.1 (hope you have
a recent Manual, as AWS has made some changes in the past few years). They
establish groove details that allow good welds to be made by good welders.

Regarding welding procedures, Table 3.7 sets some boundaries on the welding
procedures to be prequalified (meaning no physical testing of welding
procedures needed). If these boundaries are exceeded, then the mechanical
properties of the welds, as well as their quality, can become suspect, thus
requiring physical testing.

If your question relates more to what inspection should be done to completed
welds, that's another story.

Bob Shaw
SSTC
www.steelstuctures.com