Re: Definition of Structural Engineering for High School Students

Jordan,

California only requires two years of experience beyond your undergrad
degree to obtain a PE.  You must pass a written exam (OK, you could
technically call it five written exams...EIT, PE, Seismic, Surveying, and
Ethics/Law).  But they are at least close.  But, that is the ONLY state
with the 2 year requirement that I am aware of...all others require 4
years.  And technically, to become a structural engineer (as opposed to
practice structural engineering but not legally be able to call yourself
one) in California, you must then obtain ANOTHER 3 years and take another
test.

So, in the end, not too accurate even there.

BTW, the thought of me inspecting electrician's work is just plain scary.
Don't you test circuits by sticking your fingers in the electrical
plug...if you live the circuit is not working...if you die (or at least
your hair gets realllllllly straight and you do a cool little
"shake-like" dance before collapsing) it is? ;-)

Scott
Adrian, MI