Specifying thermal spray coatings (zinc metallizing)

I'm looking for comments on the use of ASTM A780 vs.
the  various AWS specs and guides for specifying
thermally sprayed zinc as a method for field-repairing
damaged galvanized coatings of marine structures such
as marinas and other harbor structures.

ASTM A780 is quite brief and contains no explicit QC
requirements.  At the opposite end of the spectrum,
AWS C2.23/SSPC-CS 23.00/NACE No. 12 (with AWS C2.16,
C2.18, and C2.25), is long and contains very detailed
QC requirements.

Does anyone have any experience or stories to share
re. using one or the other of these specs for field
repairs?

Thanks,

d a v e   e v a n s