RE: Definition of Structural Engineering for High School Students

We need a "celebrity structural engineer"...

What about Osama Bin Laden.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Fisher [mailto:dfisher(--nospam--at)fpse.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 2:13 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Definition of Structural Engineering for High School Students

The problem runs deeper than the Princeton Review...

The public perception of structural engineers has to be altered...

This may seem ridiculous, but I think one way to improve things is thru the
Media...

We need a "celebrity structural engineer"...

As an example, look at "chefs"...before the Food Network and other cooking
shows,
The only real chefs people knew about were Julia Child and the Galloping
Gourmet.

And they were true parodies of themselves...

Now, it seems everyone knows Bobby Flay, Rick Bayless, etc...

Its "cool" to be a chef...cripes, we even have realty shows about
cooking!!!!!

Cooking school enrollment is at an all time high...can engineering programs
say that?

*&^%%$!!!

The perception is so low that the plaque honoring Fazlur Kahn was almost
Covered by drywall during a lobby renovation!

Before everyone makes fun of me, I'm not a "foodie"...I happen to be married
to a Cordon Bleu trained chef...so I get to watch "Iron Chef" and "Nigella
Bites" in between editions of "Sportscenter"

We all know the celebrity architects: Gehry, Jahn, Meier, Childs, Koolhaas,
Pei...

Santiago Calatrava, whom I held out a lot of hope to bring interest to
structural engineering has gone from listing himself as engineer to
"architect"

Why, because engineering is not "sexy"...even the poor guys at NASA are
taking their lumps these days.

Movies like "Apollo 13" and "From the Earth to the Moon", while showing
engineers at work doing incredible things, still show us as nerdy guys with
slicked back hair
And pocket protectors...

Very "George McFly"

The only time structural engineers make the news is when something collapses
or horrific events like 9/11 occur.

Then we take all the blame.

The simple fact is that we, as a group, seem to shun the limelight...

We do our work well, have many sleepless nights and let the architects take
all the credit...not that many would share any anyway.

We need a person with that right combination of looks (yes, that's
important), personality and ability to bring our profession out of the
background...

Any volunteers?

David L. Fisher  SE  PE
Senior Principal
Fisher + Partners Structural Engineers inc
372 West Ontario
Chicago 60610

312.573.1701
312.573.1726 fax