Re: Definition of Structural Engineering for High School Students

I have heard this rephrased as

" Structural Engineering is the art and science of building materials we do not fully understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, to resist forces we cannot accurately predict; all in such a way that the society at large is given no reason to believe the level of our ignorance"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 5:38 AM
Subject: RE: Definition of Structural Engineering for High School Students

?Structural engineering is the art of using materials that have properties which can only be estimated to build real structures that can only be approximately analyzed to withstand forces that are not accurately known so that our responsibility with respect to public safety is satisfied?

?? from an unknown author