RE: Definition of Structural Engineering for High School Students

The way I have seen it is

“Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we don’t wholly understand, into shapes we can’t fully analyze, so as to withstand forces we can’t really assess, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.”

The quote is attributed to Jim Amrhein.

Roger C. Davis

Architect

205 N. Dewey St.