Promoting the profession (was: Definition of Structural Engineering for High School Students)

> From: "David Fisher" <dfisher(--nospam--at)fpse.com>

> The simple fact is that we, as a group, seem to shun the limelight...
>
> We do our work well, have many sleepless nights and let the architects =
> take all the credit...not that many would share any anyway.
>

> We need a person with that right combination of looks (yes, that=92s
> important), personality and ability to bring our profession out of the
> background...

The association in Ontario has recently begun recruiting volunteers to
act as government liaisons (e.g. lobbyists) to direct the interests of
the membership to the ears of politicians at all levels. A good
extension would be to organize a group of talking heads as media
contacts, as well.

The real task, for a real engineer, is to be able to distill the
engineer-speak into media sound bites. It's a little like talking to the
marketing group in a Dilbert strip.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International