Follow-up: Definition of Structural Engineering for High School Students

Upon further investigation, it appears that the entire, multi-page description of Structural Engineering on the Princeton Review website is screwed up.  Just click on the links at the left side of the website:

http://www.princetonreview.com/cte/profiles/dayInLife.asp?careerID=151

"Structural engineers are employed primarily by government agencies responsible for inspecting construction projects for safety and adherence to local and federal building standards.  Structural engineers work with people in related professions, such as electricians and drywallers ..."

http://www.princetonreview.com/cte/profiles/qualityOfLife.asp?careerID=151

"Two Years Out:  Structural engineers have passed licensing exams by this time, but many are supervised heavily by senior structural engineers and are a little frustrated by their lack of autonomy."

http://www.princetonreview.com/cte/profiles/pastFuture.asp?careerID=151

"Historically, the architect and the construction manager shared responsibility for the safe and sound construction of all buildings.  After numerous widely publicized incidents of construction being driven by financial concerns, the federal government enacted legislation that required local communities to police their construction sites using structural engineers empowered to act as the final defender of public construction safety."

http://www.princetonreview.com/cte/profiles/facts.asp?careerID=151

Number of people in profession: 12,500
Average hours per week: 45
Average starting salary: $39,800
Average salary after 5 years: $51,100
Average salary after 10 to 15 years: $62,500
Major Associations:  Associated Landscape Contractors of America

Perhaps the reason that the structural engineering profession is so poorly described by the Princeton Review is that it might have been written by a civil engineer:

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/majors/majorBasics.asp?majorID=63

"Civil Engineering is cool. It encompasses a broad combination of all the sub-disciplines within engineering, and civil engineers frequently work on complex projects which involve many technical, economic, social and environmental factors. Civil Engineering majors who become professional civil engineers are responsible for enormous projects like the Golden Gate Bridge, the Sears Tower, the English Channel Tunnel, and every other huge thing that needs to withstand the forces of nature.  Civil Engineering involves the design and construction of bridges, earthquake-resistant high rise buildings in high seismic risk areas, eight-lane highways, offshore oil platforms, transit systems, dams, airports, landfills, recycling plants - all the colossal, one-of-a-kind structures that make modern civilization what it is."

One structural engineer has already received a reply to his email to the Princeton Review.  It is copied below.

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Cookin' in Dallas