RE: Follow-up: Definition of Structural Engineering for High Scho ol Students

The COU is a civil engineer.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eli Grassley [mailto:elig(--nospam--at)psm-engineers.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 8:03 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Follow-up: Definition of Structural Engineering for High
School Students

After reading the description of a Civil engineer, it became clear to me
what is causing this problem in semantics.

I am a licensed "Civil" engineer, and my degree is in "Civil" engineering,
but I work as a "Structural" engineer.  The problem is that a Civil
engineering DEGREE has nothing to do with what a "Civil" engineer does in
his daily job.  It really is quite confusing, and unnecessarily so.  I
didn't even know what the real job duties of a true Civil engineer were
until about a year after I graduated!

If I was commander in chief of the universe, I would promptly change the
name of Civil engineers to something more descriptive, like Site Work
engineer, or Dirt Moving engineer.

~~ Eli Grassley, PE