From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 10:11 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Definition of Structural Engineering for High School
Students

Gerard,

        This is an excellent start, Gerard.  It was thoughtful,
detailed,
and fairly complete.

        As a criticism respectfully submitted, I think I noticed a bit
of
redundancy in some of the detail; and a bit of reworking into more and
shorter paragraphs would probably help.  Your suggestion that Gail might

enhance it a bit is a good idea; but Dennis Wish is also very good at
this.

        As an addition one might add a bit to the historical  detail and

point out that originally engineering was a military activity.  As time
passed the benefit of engineering in non military activities was
recognized
and engineering subsequently divided into two disciplines: Military
Engineering and Civil Engineering.  Soon other disciplines, Mechanical
Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical and Petroleum Engineering,
and
others developed from Civil Engineering.  Your placement of Structural
Engineering as a subset of the present discipline of Civil Engineering
is
excellent.

        A second addition discussing the reputation earned by engineers
is
worth considering.  Over the past century and a half engineers have
gradually developed a reputation that goes far beyond respect and
admiration
to the point where we are now totally taken for granted!  People, even
mature adults will stand in an open doorway or under a canopy and watch
hailstones splashing in the water and give no thought whatsoever to the
possibility that part of the building might fall on them.  such things
simply don't happen; engineers took care of it!!

        To repeat my opening statement; I think your posting is
excellent.

Respectfully submitted,

H. Daryl Richardson