From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 12:51
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Residential Collector Design

I am reviewing plans for a 2-story conventional wood-framed house which
has been kicked back by the inspector because it does not meet the
prescriptive lateral design requirements.  (This is northeast PA,
believe it or not!)

Section R602.10.3 of the 2000 IRC, design option 3 requires braced wall
panels to begin within 12ft of the end of the wall.  As an option, a
collector can be designed in its place.

Since we have several windows near the end wall, we cannot get in the
necessary braced panel within the 12ft requirement.  Can the collector
design be as simple as defining nailing requirements for the sheathing
to the double top plate above the windows?
I have a few common sense notes to go with it such as no 3" duct
penetrations through the top plate in this area, and that the double
2x6's must be overlapped a certain dimension.

Lateral wind force is less than 150 lbs/ft acting on the collector.

TIA,
Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA