From: Roger Davis [mailto:rdavis(--nospam--at)sdsarch.com]
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 06:34
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Cc: Help
Subject: RE: Residential Collector Design

I looked at the article mentioned below.  It is helpful but I am
bothered by the example figure 3 that says the minimum splice length to
prevent splitting requires 16d box nails to be spaced in excess of 4" on
center.
That is more than double the other recommended minimum spacing that I
have seen elsewhere.  On January 3, 2003, Buddy Showalter commented that
based on Table C12.4-1 of 1997 NDS, the required spacing between
fasteners in a row loaded parallel to grain is 15d or in the case of 16d
box nails, 2.03".
Buddy's comment is in agreement with the few other suggestions that I
have seen.  The NDS Code only says "Edge Distances, end distances and
spacings for nails and spikes shall be sufficient to prevent splitting
of the wood."
I understand that each piece of wood is different; but I think it is
very inappropriate to use that kind of language in a building code.  All
of the design requirements in the NDS Code is based on the same
material.  If stating nail spacing requirements the way they did is
acceptable; then the bending stress could be stated "Member section
modulus shall be sufficient to prevent joists, beams, etc from rupturing
due to excessive bending stress."

What is the basis for the "minimum" required splice length in the
example?

Roger C. Davis
Architect

205 N. Dewey St.