From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 07:53
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Website Registration (WAS: Residential Collector Design)

> BTW, our website people are probably not happy with me since I
> apparently gave away a direct link to the publication.  They are
> trying to encourage users of our website to register so they can track

> (in general terms) who is downloading articles (engineers, architects,

> building officials, et cetera).

While I understand the OP's gladness at not having to register, we all
ought to keep in mind that registering for websites like this is our
part of a "quid pro quo." To use an example, all of us are bugged by
commercials on TV or radio, yet we realize that they pay the bills that
allow the producers to air the program without our having to fork over
the big bucks.

By the same token, the webmasters' job at websites like AF&PA's includes
gathering usage statistics, and they also like to have the opportunity
to build and maintain an accurate mailing list.

Usually you get the opportunity to "opt-out" of offers to send you
snail- or email, so it's not that intrusive, but it helps grease the
bearings so that the machinery of outfits like AF&PA can continue
chugging, bringing us all this wonderful research material.

There are many times where I will decline to proceed if I see that a
website requires me to register, but that doesn't typically include
those that contain resources I need to do my job. I like to do my bit,
and it only costs me my time.

FWIW.